The Journey of what is now known as The Oyster Bar restaurant began long before 1921 on Samish Bay. It started as a company called Pearl Oyster Company. The owners of Pearl company brought in and planted eastern oysters, selling them fresh in the shell. Later, Pearl company was sold to E. N. Steele and J. C. Barnes, they called it Rock Point Oyster Company. By 1924, The Rock Point Oyster Company was able to import Seeds of Japanese Oysters and planted them on the beds in Samish Bay.
The market for fresh Oysters fell during the Great Depression, as a result, the Rock point Company built a shack on Chuckanut drive highway. Oysters were sold to travelers that passed by from the shack. Soon, a lunch counter was added and that was how the Rock Point Oyster Restaurant started.
In 1946, A man name Otto Amos bought the Rock Point Oyster restaurant and his wife renamed it the Oyster Bar, they coined the slogan:
“the Oysters we serve today slept last night in Samish Bay”
Blanche and William Reinstra bought the Oyster Bar restaurant in 1954 and made major renovations. They expanded the Menu list to include prawns, fish and chips and chowder.
Pat and Al Digerness bought the Oyster Bar In 1970 and sold it to Thomas Lee in 1971.
Mr. Lee gave the Oyster Bar sophistication with a wonderful menu and structural improvements. He oversaw the restaurant until 1977 when he sold it to Cheryl and Alex August. They expanded the wine cellar. The restaurant was sold to Guy and Linda Colbert in 1987.
The restaurant has had a lot of transitions and innovation that has brought it to the stage it is currently.
THE OYSTER BAR NOW
Since 1987 the Oyster Bar has been owned and operated by Guy and Linda Colbert who brought new ideas from their previous restaurants in southern California.
The Oyster Bar has become a premier dining destination spot, as a result of the scenic views of the San Juan Islands. The dishes served are loved by customers Not forgetting the Award-winning wine cellar that has provided a wonderful array of choices for wine lovers from around the world. The restaurant was renovated in 2000 by Guy and Linda Colbert. It has a wonderful lodge flavor that compliments the surrounding water, trees and wildlife.